Silver Lake, California
There is certainly nothing cookie-cutter about Silver Lake, it’s as diverse as the people living in it. Silver Lake is home to many artists, writers and musicians. The "Silver" in Silver Lake is not because of the water's color, but named after Herman Silver, a member of Los Angeles’ first Board of Water commissioners. Silver Lake is continually growing — with an ever-increasing mix of stylish boutiques, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, fitness studios and everything in-between. With all this growth and gentrification, Silver Lake has still managed to hold on to its unique charm and character.
Silver Lake is flanked on the northeast by Atwater Village and Elysian Valley, on the southeast by Echo Park, on the southwest by Westlake, on the west by East Hollywood and on the northwest by Los Feliz. The prime real estate around the lake is known by realtors as the "Moreno Highlands.”
During the 1930s, Walt Disney built his first large studio in Silver Lake at the corner of Griffith Park Boulevard and Hyperion Avenue, now the site of Gelson's Market. As consequence, the name "Hyperion" is of great significance to the Walt Disney Company, with many company entities carrying the name, such as Hyperion Books and the Hyperion Theater in Disneyland.
The Hyperion Bridge in eastern Silver Lake near the I-5 freeway
Filming location & plaque at site of Laurel and Hardy's The Music Box (1932), as seen in 2010
One of the highlights of living in Silver Lake, CA is the Sunset Junction Street Fair during the late summer. It’s a perfect example of what living in Silver Lake is all about — great music and art, incredible food, and out of this world people watching.
Silver Lake Reservoir
A major bonus to living in Silver Lake is the Reservoir. Yes, since 9-11 a chain link fence has surrounded it. But trust us, you will grow to love it. It’s the perfect place to take a jog or walk the dog. There is even a dog park, so after your stroll, you and the pooch can toss around the ball.
* For the most accurate school information please use the link provided to Great Schools.org
The schools within Silver Lake are as follows:
• Allesandro Elementary School, public K–5, 2210 Riverside Drive
• ASA Silver Lake School, private K–10, 2772 Rowena Avenue
• Ivanhoe Elementary School, public K–5, 2828 Herkimer Street
• Kids' World School, private K–12, 2132 Hyperion Avenue
• Micheltorena Street Elementary School, public K–6, 1511 Micheltorena Street
• St. Francis of Assisi Elementary School, parochial K–8, 1550 Maltman Avenue
• St. Teresa of Avila Elementary School, parochial K–8, 2215 Fargo Street
real estate booth
Greg Bender | Ted Geever
Buying | Selling | Leasing
1031 Exchange | Probate/Trust
CALBRE | #01725209 | # 01877049